Sunday, February 25, 2018

Mourn with those who mourn



It's totally amazing how your heart can be ripped out time and time again and it never stops loving, it never stops searching for love and those to love.
I thought about this today, after standing on the side of the road with James, one of my people.  His daughter died yesterday and he was hurting so much.  He was crying, telling me, "It hurts so much mama."
We've been talking about a bus ticket for him for the last three weeks, he wants to go back to New York, we were pricing and seeing what was available and now this.  The bible says to mourn those who mourn, so I stood there with Amanda, both of us crying, trying to comfort him any way I could.  He smelled like liquor, his heart was so heavy and I'm sure he hasn't eaten.
I'm only acquainted with them, even though my heart is deeply in love with them.  I know bits and pieces of one or another's story, but this guy, we've spent time with, we know him better than the rest, for one small act of help.  We helped him get his ID, we took him to lunch, we treated him like family.  We treat everyone like family, so you can imagine how broken our hearts are for him tonight.
No parent expects to ever lose a child.
I wouldn't even dare to imagine the hurt in his heart.
He's someone we've had the privilege of getting to know him, to be more than just a Sunday visit with some food.
I'm trusting and believing God for the $200 I need to get him on a bus home, to bury his child, to get off the streets of Montgomery and back to his family.  His wife died two years ago and I totally get the feeling she was his glue, everything that kept him together.
Please remember him tonight.  Love your people hard.  Don't take anything for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Get Stuck!

Don't get stuck! Life happens to each one of us, we experience joy and heartbreak. We learn things, usually the hard way, and i...